Welcome to Herocube! You can login with your Herocraft Online username and password.

The Water Mage Guide (Under Construction)

Discussion in 'General' started by N8, Jul 29, 2013.

1. N8

N8 Forum Moderator PvP Moderator

[​IMG]

Who I am

Hello folks, My name is n8. I'm the current guild leader for Illuminati, and I'm here today to bring you a friendly guide. I've been playing the Water Mage a lot. It is one of my favorite classes right now other than the Sniper. Today you will learn how to better yourself as a Water Mage. This guide is directed at players who may not know how to use a Water Mage to efficiently eliminate targets and helps break the habit of strictly healing, running, and spray n' pray.
    Note: This guide is directed at level 500 players, the current level cap.

Build
    - Healing Stream - 295 (No Cooldown)
    - Mana shield -103 (10.88 sec Cooldown)
    - Teleport - 350 (6.28 sec Cooldown)

Other
    - Pet Master/Riding - o (Useless)
    - Climbing - 110
    - Hang Glider - 140
    - Swimming/Sailing - 0 (Useless)

Gear
    - Full legendary, power 97 gear.
    - My tempo is 322.7%
    - My crit chance is 40.5%
    - Bracelets

(This is what I run, feel free to experiment other variables.)

Weapons
    Bracelets - Bracelets are probably one of the best weapons if you are good with pathing enemies with skillshots. I use bracelets because my playstyle is very close range and aggressive. Bracelets coupled with a high amount of tempo can result in deadly combos. (Recommended for highly skilled players)
    Staff - The Staff is very strong, good for bursting down your opponent quickly using your M2 skill. Staves have their ups and downs. They do the best AOE damage over any other weapon, but they have trouble hitting targets on gliders. (I would recommend the staff starting out)

Wands - Wands are pretty decent. It is pretty much the same thing as having bracelets, but they fire bursts of the M2 skill. I don't find them to be that great in my opinion, but you may think otherwise. It all depends on your play-style.

Roles
    Here are two of the many play-styles of a Water Mage.
    The Support Mage - You could be the dedicated support for a team/guild, providing CC (Crowed Control/Stuns/Snares) when you see the opportunity, whilst keeping your team alive with healing stream.

(I recommend going this play-style for the more casual players)

The AOE DPS Mage - Another play-style Is the AOE DPS mage. Usually the one to play up in your face dealing massive amounts of AOE, sustaining from enemy damage with the AOE heal his spells create. Most of the time, these players will be using bracelets/staves.

(I recommend going this play-style for the higher skilled players)
    What Counters Us?
    Well, this is actually difficult to say. Because It really depends on how good you are.
    Warriors are a good Mage counter if you are not careful. Their high armor/hp coupled with the glider and Slam skill, they can pretty much one shot you. But if you manage your skills/mp right, and keep good positioning, then the warrior is beatable.

Another Water Mage will also counter us. That is if the other Water Mage has an equal or superior skill level to yours. It's pretty much a never ending battle if both Water Mages follow my steps to improving as a mage.

Rogues can be a counter, but they have to be a pretty good rogue to beat you. That is if you have a pretty high skill level. In my opinion, I find our class to absolutely dump on most rogues. It's just too easy to avoid them. But don't get me wrong, rogues can outplay you in so many ways. If you don't perfect the steps to improving as a mage, you will probably continue to get beat by rogues.

(Most of this is from my point of view, with the fact that you may not be as good as me on this class, in mind.)

Steps to Improving as a Mage

1.) Maintaining MP is very important. Most players use Healing Stream when they are low on health, and that's a rookie mistake. You should only use your healing stream if you 1. know you are going to die, or 2. know you can't get a stun on the enemy at close quarters. Let me tell you why... You have an AOE DPS/heal when you M2 and M1 anywhere on the ground near an enemy. Most players overlook how strong this can be and never attempt to risk it, and just waste MP on healing stream. If you want the maximum DPS output, you need to forget about healing stream and get up in the enemies face, and use your M2, M1 spam combo. This way, you will constantly be damaging the enemy, WHILE healing back pretty much all of your health.

(Sorry... A bit long, nevertheless important.)

2.) Do not spam your skills. Even your M1 and M2. If you attack only when you think you will hit the target 100%, you will improve with your trajectory and increase your accuracy over time. Don't be that guy that spray and preys. That's a bad habit and will also lead to other habits such as tunnel visioning.

3.) Your teleport may be low cool-down, but I can't tell you how many times I've needed it while it was on cool-down. If you are trying to gap close on an unaware enemy/group, just glide to them. Do not waste teleport. You may need to escape if they turn on you. And TPing in on a group to gap-close is pretty much suicide.

4.) Dodge! Dodge when you think a warrior is about to slam! Dodge when you think a rogue is about to dash at you! Dodge to avoid CC and unnecessary damage. Dive, duck, dip, dive, and dodge. (Dodgeball reference. Good movie.)

(If I think of any more, I will add to this list. But this should do for now.)
    This is the end of the guide. I really hope I've helped out some new players striving to be good with the class. Just follow my steps and you will be one of the best, trust me. Last but not least, fight hard and play fair.
    -n8
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheNinth

TheNinth Developer PvP Moderator

Great guide!
    I'm definitely going to follow this when I transition to a Water Mage, and I'll let you know about any quirks or awesome strategies I find!
    Thanks for writing!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. N8

Thanks man! :) And no problem.
  4. Scroats

Scroats Member

Thumbs up! Water Mages are tough to fight as a Rogue I can attest to that.
  5. TheNinth

I've levelled a Water Mage to 500, and MAN, are they amazing.
    I kill pretty much everyone, and befriending people is as easy as pointing at them and pressing 1 (literally)
    Got a lot of neat gear (all Legendary) which puts me at Crit 100%, Tempo 199.1%
    Weapon Rating is 200%, but 188% Armor Rating.
    I haven't tried any customisation cubes yet, but I don't think I will since I tend to miss a lot with my dual bracelets and break my combo, making them almost useless.

Skills:

Healing Stream 140:
    This puts the mana cost at 30, and fills up my 1838 health bar completely, (average heal is 2k) and since I recharge 30 mana in 5 seconds, I usually have no problem with healing myself when I'm not stunned.

Mana Shield 212:
    The cooldown becomes 10.45 seconds, and absorb is 95.5%. I'm not fully sure what it does and I haven't really noticed any effects, but it doesn't cost me any mana and I can always use it.

Teleport 189:
    At a sleek cooldown of 6.5 seconds, and no mana cost, I can teleport around fairly quickly, and the reach on this is insane. The best is when you go up a tree and the enemy doesn't even know where you are while you either snipe them or recuperate with Healing Stream.

Pet Master 20:
    Mostly just a point dump for SP usefulness

Riding 27:
    Riding at a smooth 172.97%? Can't say no.

Climbing 89:
    90% less stamina consumed is just about enough to climb a mountain. :D

Hand Gliding 110:
    Any further upgrades simply aren't worth the points.

Swimming 101:
    With 95.5% swimming speed you're not slowed by water, so you can use it to outrun people.

Sailing 110:
    375%... You're that rock that Hercules skimmed on the water in the film. NEEEEEOW. Have fun with blue fog, by the way.

I'm having a lot of fun with PvP, thanks for recommending Water Mage!
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. N8

Thanks for the feedback man! Glad I got someone else into it. You don't see many of them.
  7. Vizjun

Vizjun PvP Moderator

Great guide. Hope to see more Water Mages in the future.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. grey

grey Member

I became permanent fire mage today after realize how strong they are if get lucky with passive xD I am also use your build :D 100.2 crit 205.something tempo 500 point explosion but no worry I no spam it

Btw mana shield are useless so I only put 5 point till it works
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  9. TheNinth

The new level cap of 200 is up so I've changed to the following:
    50 Healing Stream: 37.5 Mana
    40 Mana Shield: 12s Cooldown, 80% Reduction
    40 Teleport: 8s Cooldown
    10 Pet Master: 25% Health
    15 Riding: 160% Speed
    69 Climbing: (hue hue) 87.5% Reduction
    114 Hang Gliding: (speed is still important) 425.81% Speed
    30 Swimming: 87.5% Speed
    40 Sailing: 325% Speed
  10. N8

Yeah I plan to update the guide soon.
  11. N8

With the new level cap being 200, a lot has changed. I'm still undecided on which is the best route regarding weapons. Will update this as soon as I figure things out.