Welcome to Herocube! You can login with your Herocraft Online username and password.

Crossbows - Left Clicks vs. Right Clicks.

Discussion in 'General' started by Jasquan, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Jasquan

Jasquan Member

So recently (10 minutes ago or so(make that 30, holy shit it took long to make this thread)) I made a ranger. I switched to my crossbow, and fired off a right-click attack with no mana. It hit a turtle and dealt around 5 damage. I thought it was interesting that it dealt damage even though I had no mana, so I thought I had to investigate a bit in regular attacks vs. (un)charged attacks.

My regular attacks did between 4-15 damage at a decent rate. (1 attack every half second or so)
    Though while using my charged attacks while not charging them, I did between 4-9 damage as fast as I can click.

Using this, it CLEARLY deals more damage just regularly using the right-click attack. But of course I'm missing something, right? Yeah I am. I'm missing the point about CHARGING my charged attacks using my precious mana resources.
    On a fully charged right-click attack, I dealt around 45 whooping damage. Now this is a lot, though you have to CHARGE the ability for about 3 seconds before letting go, while I could just spam right click for an average of 7 damage. Assuming I press 2 times/second, I'll deal an average of 14 damage per second. 14*3 = 42.

This actually deals LESS damage, though I can spam it even after the 3 seconds.

Of course, silly me is forgetting ANOTHER detail. Sometimes when you do regular left-click attacks, you can get purple swirly things around you. Those swirly things make your right-click attack instant. Yeah that's right. an average of 45 damage in a second. Now that's cool.

So it all depends on what I'm fighting, right? Yeah it does.

If I fight something really strong that deals a megaton of damage in very little time, it's better to use my right click attacks as I can get more attacks in before I dodge. (3 right clicks vs. 1 left click (average of 21 vs. 9))

If I'm far away from my target, I should use my left-click so I can get swirly things and loads of mana to right click, then when they get in close, I can switch to right-clicking.

Now the real question: Is my right-click attack really supposed to deal damage without any mana?

Anyways, any thoughts on this? I'm curious to know.
    I haven't included anything on skills, because I don't have any yet, sorry about that.

TL;DR: Feel bad about yourself. Read it. READ IT.

TL;DR: Switching between spamming right-click and holding left-click all depends on the situation, right?
    I can't really tell all this in a TL;DR, so if you're actually interested in this thread, how about reading it?

(Holy schmoly, this post is LONG)
    I should've added some colors to make it all readable, but I don't feel like it... a moderator or admin can do it if (s)he feels like it, I guess. (*coughcoughkainzocoughcough*)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that using right-click attacks also deals splash damage... yeah.. it hits multiple targets... spamming right-click is better with a crossbow....

Planning to switch to boomerang at some point though
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. TheNinth

TheNinth Developer PvP Moderator

I think it's a bug or something, because other classes can't use their Mouse 2 ability without any mana...

Also, I'd really like to know what those purple swirly things are.
  3. BenSenpai

BenSenpai New Member

Doesn't the left click charge your mana?
    If so wouldn't a combination of a few left clicks then a right click work the best?
  4. Jasquan

Jasquan Member

Because of the way Rangers charge their right click, it's only the best if you have swirly things. (I'll just call them instant cast)
    To be fair; like I said, using left-click is superior IF your target is so far away they can't reach you. Otherwise right-clicking is better because your speed is higher and your damage is nearly on par with a regular left-click attack. Of course, if you've stunned the enemy you can shoot at the target and THEN use a right-click ability.

Them being stunned = They are far away, in terms of usefulness for left-clicking.

I think I've dealt damage with an uncharged strike as a rogue as well.
  5. TheNinth

Eh? What? Imposibru.
    You can't even activate the Mouse 2 attack without mana as a Rogue.
    You must have just not seen the mana, or it didn't render quickly enough compared to your L33T spamming skills.
    In any case, if you can do it again, then show me.
  6. Jasquan

Jasquan Member

Then it was probably warrior, whatever. I've done it before, nontheless.
  7. jwplayer0

jwplayer0 New Member

As an assassin, right click generates stealth and stealth generates mana. So after the first bit of mana gained from basic attacks, it becomes an infinite loop of mana / stealth gain.
  8. TheNinth

Neat stuff!